What shall we wear for our family photos?
Well the answer is whatever captures the ‘real you’, saying that, there are a few useful rules you can follow…
1. Choose a palette of 3-4 colours that complement each other. Muted colours tend to work best. Think about the background you’re being photographed on and pick something that will stand out or complement it.
2. Solid colours tend to work best though, we want to focus on your you, not on your clothes. You don’t need to wear identical clothing unless that is the look you really want. Aim for co-ordinating outfits instead of matching ones.
3. Make sure your items are from the same season e.g. don’t have one person dressed for summer and another for winter.
4. Choose light colours if you’d like your photos to have a light and airy feel.
6. Wear layer clothing. Layers are fabulous for photo shoots; they add interest to the shots and make it easy to vary outfits
during the shoot
7. Choose clothes that fit you well and suit your body shape.
8. Include a mix of trousers and skirts/dresses for added variety.
9. Wear sleeves to at least the elbow or long trousers as they tend to be more flattering than sleeveless shirts or shorts, lots of bare skin draws attention away from your faces.
10. Make sure your footwear is stylish and clean.
11. When in doubt, choose demin, a timeless clasic!
12. Don’t forget to accessorise! Scarves, necklaces, earrings, hats – Maybe something you really love to wear
13. (For women) Go for natural looking make-up, applied slightly heavier than usual.
14. Above all, choose clothes that you feel comfortable in and look good in – clothes that make you feel confident.
15. A few days before the shoot, lay everything out on a bed and see how it all looks together and make sure everything is clean, ironed and ready to go before the day. If in doubt, call me, email me, send me photos of what you’d like to wear or bring a few things to the shoot and we can go through them on the day.
For more what to wear ideas for family photos, head to my PINTEREST board. Happy Choosing!